Yeast or (Candida) is a type of fungus that penetrates within the human body and but is kept under control by our immune system. But when its number increases, it causes infection. Its symptoms are white thick discharge, itching, burning, soreness, pain in intimate areas. If you have it and you are afraid of it being a rare disease then don’t worry. It is very common. The majority of people around the world get yeast infection, although the rate is lower in men. It is mostly found in females. Yeast infection causes irritation, discharge, and many other problems. 70% women around the world get it once in their lifetime. And many women have it more than one time. The conditions under which the chances of getting yeast infections the most are: when you are pregnant, if you have diabetes, if you are on antibiotic medication, if you use birth control pills, or if you have a weak immune system, if you use scented products. It can be treated using antifungal drugs. But there are many ways through which it can be prevented.
- Maintain hygiene in intimate areas – Bathe daily. If you feel irritation after using soap and water then you can use a vaginal wash. There are many brands available in the market. Using a vaginal wash maintains the pH scale needed by your intimate areas. During periods, change pads or tampons after a few hours. This one is advised by the doctors as well. Don’t use one sanitary pad for long hours, it can cause infection.
- Keep a check on diabetes – Diabetes is already bad for health, plus it increases the risk of yeast infection in women. It is necessary for diabetic women to keep sugar level under control. You need to keep account of your sugar level once every day. Even lapse for one day can lead to critical circumstances.
- Remain dry – If you remain wet from the waist down for a long time, then it will affect your skin and will make it moist. You must change your clothes if you wet them. And opt for cotton underpants rather than nylon, polyester, etc. These kinds of clothes do not let air pass through them and your skin ends up wet due to moisture.
- Give your skin space to breath – You keep wearing clothes all the day which includes tights as well. Friction caused by all these fabrics can cause itchiness, irritation, and redness in your intimate areas. Sleep without underpants once in a while to give your skin some freedom. If you are already sensing uneasiness in the intimate areas, then you should avoid wearing tight clothes like jeans. These kinds of clothes increase heat and moisture & are a kind of assault on your skin. Avoid these as much as you can.
- Don’t pop unnecessary pills – Many people are in the habit of taking antibiotics even for small problems. If you have a mild headache or stomachache, you must ignore pills and try to cure these by the help home remedies. If you consume pills for every small body problem, then keep in mind that it will do more harm than good to your body.
- Avoid scented products – Nowadays there are thousands of feminine products out there offering their use to remove odor like scented soaps, scented sprays, tampons, pads. As appealing as they sound they are never good for your skin. Avoid them at every cost. They are never skin friendly because they consist of various harsh chemicals and applying them to your intimate areas damages the skin, making it vulnerable to the attack of bad bacteria. All of them can raise your chance to catch yeast infection. You should also avoid using powders in the intimate areas.
If you already have the yeast infection you must take doctor prescribed medication to remedy it. You can also try some homemade remedies as well, like tea tree oil, yogurt. Tea tree oil has been proved effective in killing fungus and bacteria. Consumption of yogurt is considered good if you have the yeast infection as it keeps the yeast bacteria suppressed and stops it from overgrowing. You should also take food with probiotics in them. Or you can opt for OTC i.e, over the counter treatment. You don’t need a prescription for OTC and they are available in every drugstore, pharmaceuticals and grocery store. Other things you can use are coconut oil, oil of Oregano. But if you are pregnant then you should avoid these.