Safeguarding oneself is a vital feature of life. You and your loved ones should have protection against the actions of criminals that could harm or kill you, or result in damage/loss of property, breach of confidentiality, privacy or theft of valuables like artwork, documents, scientific and intellectual property etc.
Ensuring safety and protection
Today, there are several methods of ensuring personal safety, protection of businesses and corporations, industrial security, etc. It is the first moral responsibility to avoid danger but when we find ourselves in circumstances that threaten us, it is ethical and absolutely necessary that we defend ourselves.
There are several individuals and organizations that provide safety training, self-defense classes and security systems. You can select the one that’s most appropriate based on your demographic, location, needs, personal features, business requirements, budget etc.
7 Important Features of Self-Defense
- Awareness: Though you don’t have to be obsessed or paranoid about safety, being conscious and aware of potential dangers is essential. You can boost awareness by reading about current events, getting more information about a new place that you’ll be visiting or talking to local people about crime-rates and typical crimes in the area. It’s also essential to be aware that certain behaviors and personal aspects could attract criminals.
- Precautions: Once you gain awareness and information, the next step is to take basic precautions. For instance, if there’s a high rate of mugging or women-targeted crimes in that area, caution and planning are important. Inform someone about your schedule, plan ahead so that you’re not stranded looking for a cab at midnight, don’t flaunt valuables and stay alert.
- Is Fighting Back An Option? This really depends on many things. If you’re physically fit, confident and have some self-defense training, you can certainly fight back. However, this should be done only after carefully weighing the risks. Otherwise, it may be wiser to let that purse or watch go, rather than risk being stabbed or shot. A study conducted by Brandeis University showed that women who did not fight back were more likely to be raped or harmed.
- Self-Defense Training: Many people are inherently conflict-averse and don’t feel they could ever fight back. However, studies show that if you’ve had some training, you can certainly benefit from giving the right response to an attack. You don’t need years of training, long hours of work-outs etc to get self-defense training. A good training organization can develop a protection program that’s customized to your particular goals and needs.
- Knowing The Attacker: In many cases, the attacker is someone known to you. In such cases, overcoming the initial shock could cost you valuable minutes as you collect your wits and decide to retaliate. An important part of self-defense training is crossing those emotional barriers and quickly focusing on protecting yourself against the imminent danger.
- Self-Defense Products: There are a number of products available in the market that can help you stay safe. You don’t have to purchase a gun to feel protected. Other products are equally effective in repelling or escaping from an attack. These include small canisters of pepper spray which can be conveniently carried in your purse or pocket, accessories like self-defense rings or key-chains with sharp protrusions, Tasers and stun-guns that can knock an attacker out for at least 30 minutes (they have several laws and restrictions – check if they’re legal in your location), personal wearable panic alarms, strike spikes, less-lethal shotgun ammunition, etc.
- Family Self-Defense Programs: These programs are very effective because they educate families on safety inside and outside the home. They provide comfort and peace of mind to all in the family, teach co-operation, safety-rules, developing trust or suspicion, etc. It’s a great way to teach children and seniors simple self-defense techniques, awareness and skills. Some programs have focus groups like Mother-Daughter, Father-Son, Grandma-Grandpa, Child-Centric, On-line Safety, etc.
Self-defense Training Offers Many Benefits
Apart from protection, self-defense training provides several other spin-off advantages. It keeps you fit and works on issues like balance which many older people lack. Self-Defense training provides an emotional boost, confidence, discipline and self-esteem, since it teaches us to value ourselves. These programs help us with goal-setting and planning. Another plus is that it improves alertness, reaction time and street-smartness.
The best time to take a self-defense training course is when you don’t really need it! Why wait for a crisis to happen? Instead, invest in the right type of training and continue to practice – who knows when it will come in handy?
Best Self-Defense Guides:
>>> Click Here for My “Fight 4 Family” Review
>>> Click Here for My “Bulletproof Home Defense” Review
==> Looking to defend yourself from physical attacks?
==> Self Defense Strategies to Help Protect Your Family from an Attack
==> How Do I Secure My Home Against Intruders and Looters
==> 3 Best Martial Arts to Learn for Self-Defense
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.