Unless you’re completely left-brain logical and analytical, or you hate getting your hands dirty, you probably have some sense of creativity and fun and enjoy the process of creating something from scratch.
However small or impractical the final product, making it all by yourself brings immense joy, satisfaction and a sense of pride.
That’s why crafts like woodworking are so popular across a wide spectrum of people. It’s also why many of us spend hours designing and working on a project to create a piece that many others would have simply picked off a shelf in a store.
Why DIY woodworking is so fulfilling:
- Taps into your creative instincts: A DIY project works on several levels. Right from the design and planning stage to final finishing and completion, there are a number of interesting and rewarding steps that you need to go through.
- Planning and Design: Though many projects can be carried out with the help of ready-made plans and patterns, there’s a lot that needs to be done in terms of scheduling, organizing the necessary equipment, tools, space and time. Many creative people are unaware that they possess such qualities that require logic and analysis. Hence, it comes as a pleasant surprise to discover such qualities within oneself.
- Saves money: Many home improvement projects like putting in kitchen cabinets, repairing a broken door or window, polishing an heirloom piece of furniture, etc could cost you big money if you call in a professional carpenter. DIY enthusiasts are in fact a boon to their families and friends, as the only costs incurred are on raw materials. There could be a large initial investment in terms of purchasing the right tools and equipments, and some initial waste in the early stages, but ultimately, DIY practitioners end up saving a lot of money.
- Constant Learning: The sky’s the limit as far as learning is concerned. When you’re a DIY person, there’s literally no time when you’re not learning something. Whether it’s in the planning and design, execution of project, selecting the right materials, finishing, repairs or discovering your own short-cuts and smarter ways of doing things, it’s complete satisfaction all the way. Sometimes, you may end up discovering something through a laborious process of trial and error, at other times, a small tip from an on-line video could be the answer to a problem. Many DIY practitioners are in constant learning mode – whenever they spot something that’s in their range of interest, they examine it thoroughly and then go straight home and try to replicate it.
- Learn New Skills: The learning process is endless and a continuous thing. Even in the midst of doing something routine, you find that you’re discovering a newer, more efficient and less expensive way of doing it. These new skills become the building blocks for even more newer ones to stand on as you continue on your journey.
- Perfect Gifting Ideas: There’s nothing like giving something that you’ve created with your own hands. Your friends and family would be touched and honored to receive a gift that they know you’ve spent a lot of time and effort in making. Many DIY enthusiasts specialize in one particular kind of object or artifact and these become their signature pieces – coffee tables, dolls’ houses, kitchen cabinets – whatever grips your imagination, that’s up to you.
- Upcycling, Recycling, Reusing: While you’re enjoying yourself, don’t forget that you’re also doing your bit towards saving the environment. Woodworking craftspersons can use old furniture, broken pieces, driftwood or they can refurbish a piece of junk to make it functional and new. Reclaimed wood is one of the most popular materials for kitchen cabinets and counter-tops. It can be sourced from old barns, factories, warehouses or old structures that are being demolished. It is strong and durable, well-cured, long-lasting and pest-resistant. Age gives it a mellow and elegant finish and you can also get a choice of different varieties of wood like chestnut, cherry and birch apart from exotic woods like mahogany, teak and rosewood.
- Stress-Buster: Finally, we come to the crucial part! Woodworking is a great stress-buster. It provides a calming influence, time to think, analyze and work things out mentally. You come out feeling and behaving much better!
Woodworking and other kinds of DIY are an invitation to creativity, discovery and learning. It also saves you money and you can create exactly what you want. You gather knowledge, skills, equipment, experience and expertise along the way.
Best Self-Defense Guides:
>>> Click Here for “Ted’s Woodworking” Review
==> Touch Wood! Useful Tips for Woodworking DIY Enthusiasts
==> 5 Woodworking Safety Tips That Every DIY Enthusiast Should Follow
==> Top Skills Used by Professionals to Create Top-Notch Woodworking
==> How to build a dog’s house from scratch?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.