Are you one of the people who are fed up with one-night stands and short-term relationships? All of us at many times in our lives dream of having a relationship with a loving partner on whom we can rely and who will stick with us under any circumstance. The word “relationship” has lost its value in current times. However, you must know some of your loved ones who have been in a relationship for what seems like forever and you admire them. If you too dream of having a relationship just like them and want to have a partner for a lifetime, here are some tips that can help you build a healthy long term relationship.
- Learn to tackle the ups and downs: It is impossible to be happy all the time in a relationship. Be prepared to face the downfalls and disappointments which are sure to occur. Maintain a positive attitude during these times and when you overcome the situation, your relationship and your bond with your partner will be stronger than ever. Do not give up and do not let that bond go.
- Make it “WE”, not “I” or “YOU”: Be a little selfless and try to indulge your partner in all the aspects of your life. Everyone needs time for themselves, but even then, try to make your partner understand about it and do not run away from him/her. Even the use of the word “we” can generate a feeling of better bonding in the subconscious of both partners.
- Tell them you love them: Even when it is understood that you both love each other, expressing it with words and actions plays an important role in keeping the relationship healthy. Recommit your love each and every day so that your significant other gets a feeling of security and of assurance that you will stand by his/her side, no matter what.
- Talk it Out: Whenever there is doubt or conflict going in your mind about your relationship or your partner, it is really important to let your other half know about it so that the concerns get cleared up as soon as possible without disturbing your peace of mind. Even when you are having second thoughts about your relationship, talk it out with your partner so that you both can help to solve the problem, rather than ruining your relationship on a bad note.
- Create goals that Include both of you: Whether it is one of the most important events of your life, such as planning your wedding or something as simple as planning a weekend trip, create some short term as well as long term goals which you both can look forward to. Planning a romantic date for the upcoming weekend can be the simplest of plans and yet will make your whole week pass in happy anticipation.
- Give surprises and gifts: Even the smallest of the surprises can make your relationship stronger. Leaving a surprise “I love you” message while your partner is at work can make him/her smile throughout the day and make your significant other happy to come home to you. Exchanging gifts which can make beautiful memories can also make your relationship that much stronger. These gifts can lift your mood even when you are feeling a little low or having a disagreement with your partner.
- Do not take your relationship for granted: Many times, relationships fall apart as one partner or the other starts taking things for granted. You stop doing little things for your partner or stop replying to text messages. This can sabotage a relationship even if you want it to work. Always remember and appreciate the thousands of little things that your partner has done to make you happy.
- Understand your shortcomings: Do not always try to blame everything on your partner. Most of the time mistakes happen on both sides, but you will try to blame the other person for the whole mishap. Be calm and try to understand your own shortcomings which helped the conflict to occur. Talk it out with your partner.
As with bigger things, even the smallest of the small things can affect the quality of a relationship. Do not ignore the little things that make you and your partner happy on a daily basis. Do not forget you love your partner and remember why you chose to be with that person in the first place. Just by following these tips, your relationship can turn into a lifetime love.