In this growing age of technology and luxuries, we tend to get everything without much hustle and struggle unlike our parents’ generation, who had to work hard to achieve what they wanted. This obviously has its boons and banes. Surely this has reduced our daily struggles, but it definitely also has made us lazier. This can easily be one of the leading causes for the increase in the number of overweight and obese people in the 21st century.
There have been many debates about the most efficient ways to shed these unnecessary kilos, but the most important way to lose fat starts in your kitchen. Surprised? Yes! The number of gymnasiums and physical training institutes like Zumba, dance classes, etc. have also increased significantly in the last century, but the primary way to lose fat is by dieting. Exercising is secondary. Dieting doesn’t imply at starving yourself, it simply implies to have a healthy and balanced diet/ lifestyle by cutting out food which adds fat to your body. The primary focus about dieting is to avoid eating anything unhealthy that causes weight gain. A diet can be best explained as a fixed timetable of eating and drinking where the type and amount is specified to help you achieve your dream weight.
Different types of diets
There are a wide range of diets that you can follow to achieve your goal. Information about different types of diets is easily available on the internet or you can even visit your dietician. Some of the popular diets are as follows:
- Low-fat diet: – As the name suggests, this diet focuses on reducing the amount of fat intake in one’s diet.
- Low-carbohydrate diet: – One of the most commonly followed low-carbohydrate diet includes the Atkins Diet. This diet focuses on reducing the insulin level in one’s body. Proteins and fats can be consumed, but carbohydrates should not be consumed.
- Low-calorie diet: – This diet revolves around the idea of calorie restriction. Commonly followed low – carbohydrate diet is the Weight Watchers Diet, which focuses on reducing and restricting the calorie intake along with exercise.
- Vegan diet: – Nowadays, the vegan diet is rapidly gaining popularity. Several vegan communities have been formed who do not include any animal based foods like eggs, dairy, etc in their diet.
- Raw food diet: – This diet is relatively a newer concept basically focused on the consumption of non-processed food and drinks which are completely organic.
No matter which diet you choose from the above mentioned ones, there are a few points that are common to all and should be kept in mind before fully committing to any diet plan. These should be considered as the basic principles of dieting and they are as follows:
- Firstly, try to find your body fat percentage and your body mass index (BMI). Information on how to do so is available on the internet.
- Measure your weight at the start of your diet and decide your ideal weight depending upon your age and height. Becoming too skinny or having unrealistic goals would only disappoint you in the future. Being too skinny may lead to malnutrition or anorexia, which is equally as bad as being over-weight. Write about your dieting experiences and take pictures to understand better about how much your body has changed along the process.
- Cut out fried, oily and primary junk food like pizzas, burgers, etc. from your diet. Stop drinking artificially sweetened sugary drinks like Pepsi and Cola. These added sugars are extremely bad for your body. Instead, eat a lot of salad, which should include vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, carrot, papaya, onions, tomatoes, etc and drink lots of water, green tea and detox water. Drinking coffee/ tea without sugar is important.
- Eat food which is rich in fiber. They not only fill up your stomach, but they are extremely healthy and help to keep your bowel movements good. Eating food rich in proteins like boiled chicken, fish is also very important.
- Exercising along with your diet is important as it helps to reduce the stubborn fat from your problem areas like belly easily. Remember, 80% dieting and 20% exercising.
- Do not starve yourself; eat smaller quantity of food at regular intervals. Don’t expect to lose all your fat in one night, it is a long process so be patient and keep following your diet to expect positive results.
Weight gain is dangerous enough to make you fall sick and cause serious illnesses that can even prove to be fatal. So, if you are unlucky enough to have a slow metabolism rate and have become over-weight in the process, you need to start dieting right away.
Best Diet Guides:
>>> Eat Stop Eat
==> How Intermittent Fasting Helps with Weight Loss
==> 7 factors which make you reconsider skipping meals
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.
photo credit: TerryGeorge. NFM Will Myth By Terry George (license)