How to bulletproof your home is not a hard task as it seems. Most people imagine bullet-proofing a home will require high-density materials like Kevlar but such materials are quite expensive. You’ve probably seen movies where a guy hides under a table and doesn’t get shot by flying bullets. Most people have the false idea of what will protect them from bullets.
Is my home bulletproof?
Well, your home is far from bulletproof as most appliances in the house are thin sheets of steel that cannot stop the momentum of a bullet. The furniture in your house will not stand any chance against bullets even the 22 LR which is considered a small caliber bullet. There is nothing in your home close to stopping a bullet, but that should not worry you if you’re reading this.
I know there are those wondering why bulletproof your home?
If you’re stuck in your house and there is a bad guy outside shooting, your gun might not protect you enough if your home is not bulletproof. You need at least a safe place to stand and shoot back without being shot. The US Army has solved such by using sandbags which are quite effective even to a 50 caliber bullet.
Well, for your case, you won’t need a sandbag unless for emergencies. Who wants the sight of sandbags in his front door, bedroom or living space? There is a need for a more permanent solution, and this is what we will discuss in this article.
Steps on how to bulletproof your home
- Determine the nature of threat you anticipate: You will not just be attacked without any probable cause. You need to understand the nature of threat you’re protecting against and get the right materials to match such threat. Threats from paramilitary terrorists will need greater protection than those from an urban intruder looking for valuables in your home. Once you’ve made the determination, look for the necessary materials from laboratories that deal with bulletproofing. The chosen material should match your threat.
- Replace aluminum, wood and vinyl siding with a stone veneer or full brick: Stones are bricks are ideal for stopping bullets. The only thing stones and bricks might not stop is a grenade which will rarely be used in case of an attack. Furthermore, stones and bricks are relatively cheap and ideal for most middle-class families that don’t have a lot of money to spend on bulletproofing a home. However, make sure you install the full thickness of the bricks and stones and not some thin veneer that will not protect a lot.
- Install bullet resistant fiberglass wall panels: The dry inner wall will not protect you from bullets so remove them and instead install fiberglass wall panels. Fiberglass panels come at different prices, and one needs to choose one that corresponds to the threat faced. Higher ballistic protection will require thicker fiber glasses which translate to higher prices.
- Replace windows with bullet-resistant glazing steel frames: Bullet resistant glazing steel frames can be expensive, and one needs to choose one depending on the level of threat. There is no need of spending on thick and expensive glaze steel frames when faced with a very small threat.
- Only replace windows required for interior lighting: Most shooters will shoot once they have a clear target in sight. See-through windows used for interior lighting are good targets for bad guys to take a shot. Windows that are not see-through should not be necessarily replaced unless the potential risk expected is high. Being able to hide a target is as good as stopping a bullet. Never at any point give an assailant a potential view of the people inside the house.
Well, those are some of the few ways you can easily protect your home from intruders, looters and any other people with ill-intentions. However, remember bulletproofing your home is not enough as assailants can gain entry into your home. Overall, you need to make your home secure by installing necessary security gadgets like alarms and motion sensors.
Best Self Defense Guides:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.