An EMP attack is not far with North Korean leader Kim Jong exchanging words with US president Donald Trump. But come to think of it, how bad would an EMP attack be? Do you have an EMP management plan? Well, even before we delve deep into the EMP attack thoughts, maybe it is time you understand what an EMP means.
As you make preparations for an EMP attack, the kinds of questions you need to have answers to stay protected are:
- What weapons are likely to cause an EMP attack?
- Is an EMP attack not preventable?
- What damage can an EMP attack cause?
- What will be the aftermath of an EMP attack?
What is an EMP?
EMP stands for electromagnetic pulse where a burst of electromagnetic radiations is generated following a nuclear explosion. When North Korea boasts of capabilities to launch a nuclear attack in the US, what they simply mean here is an EMP attack.
An EMP attack is a much desirable weapon for lesser countries like North Korea as it does not require great accuracies. A single EMP blast will affect a wide region covering over 700-mile radius which ideal means you don’t have to get into the US soil to launch such an attack in the US!
Nobody really knows what exactly would happen if there was an EMP attack but former CIA Director James Woolsey thinks than an EMP attack would make the society to collapse and lead to a high number of America casualties.
What damage can we expect?
Almost all electronic devices not shielded against the EMP attack will most likely be damaged. We are talking about items like:
- Desktop computers
- power grids
- mainframe computers
- Internet servers
- Television sets
- Air traffic control system
- Banking systems
- Automobile engine management system
- Any device with a chip
The list is endless, and one needs to just think of any item that use electricity to run. This is almost everything we use in our day-to-day lives. Protecting these items from the EMP is what is called EMP shielding. Survival after an EMP attack will require good preparation. Preppers are only faced with two options of stockpiling and having plans to live like our ancestors.
A Faraday cage will offer you temporary relief of items needed, but not a permanent solution in the long run.
EMP Preparation: here is how to prepare for an EMP attack
- Build a Faraday Cage: A Faraday cage is a metal box that protects items affected by the EMP attack. The effectiveness of the Faraday box depends on the magnitude of the EMP. Faraday boxes are bought or made from available materials like aluminum cans and metal filling cabinets and old microwaves. Cardboards are also used to create more insulation and protect the items stored inside.
- Food storage: Food will become an extremely valuable commodity in the aftermath of an EMP attack. It is advised you build a storage of canned food to last for a year and get a means of growing new food supply.
- Radio communication: Since communication will have been badly affected, it is advised you have radios stored in the Faraday cage for communication. You will need to communicate with people away from where you stay. Knowing what is happening in other parts of the world is one of the best ways to staying safe after an EMP attack. A two-way radio is highly recommended to speak to nearby family and friends. Don’t forget to store batteries that will run the radio.
- Batteries: You need to have batteries that will run the devices in the Faraday cage. The only batteries that will be affected are those in n the devices.
- Hand tools: we’ve already seen the high number of items that will be affected. There will be no electronic devices available for use so stockpile hand tools to help you with various chores. Hand tools to stockpile include a can opener, saw, screwdrivers, stapler and much more.
After making necessary EMP preparation plans, we will also need to learn how to live like the Amish people without depending on electricity. The Amish do this by choice and learning a few things from them will help in the aftermath of an EMP attack.
Best EMP Survival Guides:
>>> Click Here For My “Blackout USA” Review
>>> Click Here for “Stockpiling EMP survival supplies”
==> How to prepare and protect yourself in case of a total blackout
==> 8 Emergency Essentials for Surviving A Blackout Of At Least 72 Hours
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.