A car battery is one of the most expensive parts that you can repair. Many people are unaware of the inexpensive means which you can use to rectify a damaged battery: reconditioning or refurbishing it. This will save you a lot of cash and extend its life. The following is how you can revive an old car battery.
Crucial tools and items that will facilitate a successful dead car battery refurbishment
The first thing to be considered is the fact that the process of rejuvenating an old or a dead car’s battery should be done in open or in a well-ventilated room. This is because dangerous gases that can explode are produced whenever charging the car battery.
You will also need to have items like neoprene rubber gloves which will ensure that your skin does not corroded when you come into contact with the battery acid. Also, have a shop apron that is heavy to avoid damaging your clothes. Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from invisible gases and sprays. Have the following: cheap battery charger, baking soda, Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), distilled water, a turkey baster, power drill and a funnel.
Safety precautions to effect during the process
Safety comes first before embarking on the process of reviving an old car cell. It is paramount to avoid coming into contact with the battery acid which is extremely corrosive. The batteries are bulky and should be carefully carried. Also, avoid direct sunlight when choosing a place to store your battery.
You should only use compatible chargers when charging the battery to avoid further damages. It is also wise to use a plastic funnel that will not be corroded by the acid. It goes without a saying to remove all metallic tools in your working area to avoid incurring losses due to corrosion. Also, avoid open flames in the working area which can cause fatal outcomes.
The battery revival process
Having implemented the above safety precautions and equipping yourself with the necessary working tools, you can comfortably proceed to the main agenda of your day. The following are the steps to take.
• Allow the battery to cool after turning your car off for about sixty minutes.
• Proceed to detach the battery by lifting the hood up.
• Using a wrench, disconnect negative cable.
• Do the same to the positive one.
• Prevent having a mild electricity jolt through ensuring that the wrench used does not touch any metallic part that is not involved in the process.
• Remove the massive battery carefully after disconnecting all the cables.
• Observe the battery and remove all the caps on its top.
• Study the opened the caps’ beneath to find some marks (the battery cells usually are sealed here).
• Using safety glasses to cover your eyes, drill holes on top of the marks using a power drill.
As earlier mentioned, one of the items necessary for old car battery refurbishing process is neoprene rubber gloves. They will come in handy during the steps that will follow. Wear them when turning the old battery upside down to empty its content. Do this on top of a non-metallic storage container. Proceed with the following steps.
• To all cells, gradually add baking soda in small quantities for liquid neutralization.
• Mix warm distilled water with Epsom salt in the ratio 3:1 – the mixture should be enough for a quarter of a gallon.
• Pour a quarter of a gallon of the solution each cell.
• Connect the charger to your battery ensuring that it is off.
• Attach the positive cable followed by the negative one.
• Let the 12-Volt charger charge the battery for half a day.
• Use replacement plugs to cover the drilled holes.
• Return the battery to the hood for reconnection – you are then good to go!
The final thing to do is to repeat the process for four weeks on a weekly basis. By so doing, you will eradicate all sulfur deposits that will give the battery a longer life.
Assuredly, the above steps are easy to follow. Replacing the battery is way too much costly compared to repairing an old one. For this reason, you should save your money by following the above steps. However, remember that you should prioritize your safety before anything else. The repaired battery will give you additional five or more years of service!