Take a look around, and you will notice how electricity and electronic devices have made permanent changes on how we live. You’re probably taking a look holding an electronic device or on your computer. Right! People who lose access to electricity even for a day get sick as they can’t refrigerate food, watch TV or keep the house warm.
What if we had no electricity forever?
An EMP attack is a nuclear weapon that creates short bursts of electromagnetic energy that disrupts the distribution of electrical power and damages electrical devices. Any wise prepper will do anything to prepare for an EMP attack, and the best place to start is stockpiling EMP survival supplies.
Is stockpiling food a viable option?
Stockpiling food for an EMP will only get you through a short period crisis, but one will still require a viable option of producing food. You can have a year of food stored but what happens after that? Will you even manage to safeguard the food for a year without being attacked by others? When it comes to EMP survival supplies, there are two ways to go about stockpiling.
Two ways to go about stockpiling:
- Minimalist approach: In this approach, you only need to store food for 2-3 weeks but have a viable means of producing food. This is a good option, but you have to be careful and stay away from looters looking for an easy meal.
- EMP based food storage: This is the second option and the easiest but not the most effective. In this approach, you stockpile food to last you for a year or more. You start by purchasing airtight bins that will hold large quantities of food. One bin should be enough to hold food for at least one month. This means you require around 12 large bins to store food that can survive you a year.
What should be included in bins to store food:
- Foods that will last for more than one year: Best type of foods to store here are dried and canned food. These types of foods are a better alternative to frozen foods as they have very long shelf lives. You can search online for canned foods and get good choices that will rarely get spoiled. After stocking the food, it is advised that you keep checking on the expiry date after six months and replacing foods that are about to expire or have expired.
- Nutritionally balanced foods: Even after an EMP attack, your daily nutrient needs will remain the same. There is a need to check the serving’s amount and make sure each food you pack meets the daily nutrient and caloric needs. You can only be able to survive by keeping fit and health to perform other chores that will provide you with your daily supply. In fact, more energy is usually spent when surviving than when leading a normal life.
- Printed instructions on how to cook such type of foods: You will still need to know how to cook your food without electricity. Instructions on how to cook such foods should be printed and stored together with the foods in the bins. Remember there will be no computers or laptops to extract such information. All electronic devices will be down, and the only source of information will be the printed handouts.
Other items to pack apart from food:
The items here are hand operated ones as there will be no electricity. These are items that will come in handy when performing various chores. A good example is can openers that will help you open your canned food.
Items to pack:
- Solar oven: Solar ovens can help you cook food and boil water as long as there is the sun.
- Hand-powered water pumps: You will require a means to get water out of a well, cistern or the nearby river.
- Manual can opener: Pick a simple can opener that fits on the keychain.
- Meat and grain grinders: These can help you create meat burger or grind flour from whole grains.
- Crank coffee grinder: This is an ideal item if you’re a coffee lover.
- Butter churn: It helps you separate cream, churn butter from cow’s milk
- Crank/solar flashlight: These use natural means to power as there will be no electricity
There are several items you can store as you prepare for an EMP attack which is not inevitable as most people think. Remember the sole aim is to survive without electricity and still get your life going.
>>> Click Here For My “Blackout USA” Review
==> What To Have Stored To Survive An EMP Attack?
==> Your only Options for EMP Preparation
==> Stockpiling EMP Survival Supplies
==> 8 Emergency Essentials for Surviving A Blackout Of At Least 72 Hours
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.