Hi there, its Frank here with reviews of the five best solar and battery powered emergency radios. Emergency radios are crucial survival tools that can enable you to keep in touch with others and get crucial information about what is happening. Stay with me as I review the best five on the market and help you make a wise purchase solution for a unit that will serve you well. Thanks and enjoy you’re reading.
Emergency radios are an essential requirement whenever you are packing an emergency kit. They will keep you updated as you will receive disaster and weather alerts efficiently making it easy to survive. It is paramount to be on the lookout when you are in search of a reliable emergency radio since the market is stocked with different brands some of which are not reliable.
How are you supposed to choose a reliable emergency radio? Well, this might be a daunting task particularly if you have never used one before.
However, worry less as the following guide will help you to make the best choice:
- Make sure that you are sticking to the basics: some individuals may require a radio that can convey NOAA alerts and several other warnings while others need transistors that can be used to communicate with other people. Know what you need before buying one.
- Multiple power source: Purchase a radio that will support multiple sources of power since certain power sources, e.g., electricity might be inconvenienced during a calamity.
- Buy the radios that encode specific alert messages which will keep you away from areas likely to be affected more by a disaster.
- Look for transistors with ‘NWR and NOAA All Hazard’ or ‘Public Alert’ Logos.
- Use optional and unique features to choose your radio, for instance; some radios have SOS alarm which is an uncommon feature.
With the information above, you will be at a better place of making the best choice. Some of the best emergency radio brands to choose from include the following.
Finding a cheap yet effective emergency weather radio can be a difficult task. For this reason, you should consider buying iRonsnow Dynamo Emergency Weather Radio which is hand crank self-powered and also solar powered. You will find this product in any of your desired colors. Owning it is excellent as it is small, light-weight and portable. You will, therefore, survive during a weather emergency efficiently as you will be kept updated at all times.
- Flashlight – the best thing about the radio’s flashlight is the fact that it is very powerful and can work under rainy conditions efficiently.
- Tuning: the radio is uniquely designed to direct you as you tune thus guiding you to FM, AM and NOAA emergency weather alerts.
- Light-weight (maximum weight of 0.5 lbs) preventing any portability issue.
- Have many charging options such as solar charging, manual, crank charging and others.
- It has a built-in solar panel making solar energy its input power.
Pros and Cons
- It is an efficient Smartphone and other rechargeable electronics portable power-bank.
- Provision of alerts about expected weather condition.
- Have numerous modes of charging including solar input and manual hand-crank.
- Has extendable antenna to increase connectivity.
- It provides the users with many cables and adapters, e.g., USB charging cable and USB adapter.
- Sixty seconds of hand cranking can provide power enough for five radio-time minutes or half an hour of continuous torchlight.
- Cannot charge a Smartphone fully
- Lacks digital tuning
- The battery capacity is lower than a typical emergency weather radio.
Due to the radio’s numerous superb features, this product qualifies to be one of the best emergency weather radios on the market. The flaws are fewer compared to the pros. It is, therefore, a wise idea purchasing it; it is also very affordable. The product best suits anyone who is in search of a cheap yet effective emergency weather radio or anyone who wants to go camping.
This solar powered radio is very effective and should be found in any well-equipped emergency kit. The receiver won’t fail you since it is modeled to receive FM/AM and weather band alerts effectively. It has numerous features which makes it an essential product to own. To make your decision well, it is a great idea to know the pros and a few cons of this radio.
Pros and Cons Features
- Contains FM/AM/7 weather bands that will keep you updated every time there is an emergency. It is worth noting that this device is designed to work excellently in any reception and locality.
- The radio comes with an excellent retractable antenna which will be tucked away nicely when you are not using it.
- You will get the radio with an alarm clock and a clock which will assist in time management which is crucial during and disaster.
- There are several ways of charging this transistor. For instance, when exposed to the sunlight for about ten hours, its NiMH battery will be fully charged. On the other hand, you can hand-crank the radio for around one and a half minutes which will yield power enough to use the radio for about six minutes. Another way of charging this radio is connecting it to a computer using a USB Cable.
- The final method of powering the radio is through use of 3 AAA batteries.
- It is paramount to note that your cell phones will not go off during an emergency as they can be charged fully by the radio.
- Most of the parts made to make the receiver are made of plastic. This increases its durability.
- Has emergency beacon and LED flashlight.
- There are minimal cons associated with this radio. For instance, it is slightly expensive compared to the other emergency radio brands.
Should you consider buying this product?
Yes, it is an excellent idea buying this radio as it has many charging alternatives. This will ensure that you are not missing out on any emergency news wherever you are. It is also durable being waterproof and impact-resistant. It will work best for anyone who needs to survive during a weather emergency and for campers.
This weather radio is a must-have if you are preparing for an emergency. Your household will be confronted knowing that you have adequate lighting and chargers to ensure that your mobile phones are not going off now and then. The weather radio is all-in-one and very portable. It has numerous features as follows.
- It can pick up FM/AM stations
- Has 1W LED Flashl
- ight which will facilitate adequate lightingHas 1W study lamp
- NOAA alerts from weather broadcasting stations
- It has SOS alarm which has flashing red lights – in case you are lost; it will be easy locating you as it will indicate when you require help
- Have many charging options such as solar charging, use of USB Cables, hand cranking and use of three AAA batteries.
- Hand crank which facilitates self-charging in case you are experiencing power outages which is rampant during a disaster.
Pros and Cons
- You should not be fooled by the name of this weather radio; when it comes to performance, it is nothing like a snail. It is unique and useful which makes it an excellent weather radio.
- It is portable – in fact, it is almost the same size of your Smartphone and can be carried conveniently without adding any extra weight to your emergency kit. It also has a wrist holder which facilitates wrapping it around the wrist to make it even more portable.
- It has many entertaining programs such as music, weather broadcasts, and news.
- Its antenna is retractable and can be elongated to increase efficiency during signal picking.
- It is a useful lighting source as it has both flashlight and table lamp.
- Since it has a 1W LED flashlight and a study lamp, it will save a lot of energy making the batteries used as power source last longer.
- Has SOS alarm which can be used to ask for emergency rescue.
- Multiple charging options
- It might be hard to find disadvantages while using this weather radio. However, some people may not prefer the transistor due to some few reasons as follows.
- Has analog display which may be unsuitable for those who prefer a digital one.
- It lacks a clock – this is not quite an issue since you can use your phone to know the time.
Evidently, this weather radio has very many superb features. It is, therefore, a poor choice to ignore it as it can come in handy especially when you require assistance due to its SOS alarm. You should consider owning one if you wish to survive an emergency safely and conveniently.
If you are conversant with RunningSnail Solar Crank NOAA Weather Radio, you might want to run back to the market and buy the upgraded RunningSnail Emergency weather radio. It is comprehensive, portable and will suit most of your needs in case of an emergency.
- 1000 mAH power-bank that will charge your cell phones and iPhones without any need for an adapter – it uses Micro-USB cable directly.
- Powerful 1W long-lasting LED flashlight.
- Comes with a Micro-USB cable and with one year warranty
- Connects with FM/AM & NOAA to keep you updated about the weather condition during an emergency.
Pros and Cons
- The radio connectivity is fabulous. Its functioning is also excellent as it is very sensitive making station selections an easy task. Just 10% of the volume will be audible for everyone!
- The flashlight is designed to use the least possible power amounts while efficiently functioning.
- Charging an iPhone using the radio is efficient compared to other emergency weather radios.
- Compact-sized and very portable.
- Wide selection of means of recharging it, e.g., solar charging, Micro-USB, and manual hand crank charging.
- Lacks small light near radio dial which makes changing stations at night difficult.
- Its crank mostly tends to malfunction
The above product is perfect for anyone who wishes to charge an iPhone during a disaster as it will not misbehave as it is the case with some emergency weather radios. It is also very portable and convenient. The cons are very few which makes purchasing it an excellent idea. Its price is also pocket-friendly. If you did not like the previous brand of RunningSnail Weather Emergency Radio, this might be the best choice for you.
Conclusion and Final Verdict
The five weather emergency radios are the best on the market currently with features and specifications that will serve you well. There are several shared features but some like the RunningSnail Crank has some unique features. Getting one of these radios will greatly improve your chances of survival when all forms of communications are down. They are all excellent choices to have so make sure you buy one from our list.
Best Survival Guides:
>>> Extreme Family Survival Review
==> Extreme Family Survival Review
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. I do get a small referral if you buy via my links – that´s why all informations are free for you on my website.